Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 1/3] net: stmmac: Add generic suspend/resume helper for PCI-based controllers

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2025 06:57:20 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2025 10:07:26 +0000 Yao Zi wrote:
> +config STMMAC_LIBPCI
> +	tristate "STMMAC PCI helper library"
> +	depends on PCI
> +	default y
> +	help
> +	  This selects the PCI bus helpers for the stmmac driver. If you
> +	  have a controller with PCI interface, say Y or M here.

I didn't pay enough attention to the discussion on v2, sorry.
I understand that there's precedent for a library symbol hiding
real symbols in this driver but it really makes for a poor user
experience.

The symbol should be hidden, and select'ed by what needs it.
With the PCI dependency on the real symbol, not here.

The "default y" may draw the attention of the Superior Penguin.
He may have quite a lot to criticize in this area, so let's
not risk it..