Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/2] selftests: drv-net: psp: Don't fail psp_responder when no PSP devs found

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2026 17:52:06 -0800

On Mon, 5 Jan 2026 12:04:24 +0200 Cosmin Ratiu wrote:
> psp_responder, used in the PSP self tests, fails when no PSP devices are
> found. This makes the PSP test time out on connecting to the responder
> and throw out an unpleasant Python exception.

Indeed, handling the errors for responders within bkg() is quite
annoying. Or at least I didn't find a clean way to do it.

> Change psp_responder to open the server socket and listen for control
> connections normally, and leave the skipping of the various test cases
> which require a PSP device (~most, but not all of them) to the parent
> test. This results in output like:
> 
> ok 1 psp.test_case # SKIP No PSP devices found
> [...]
> ok 12 psp.dev_get_device # SKIP No PSP devices found
> ok 13 psp.dev_get_device_bad
> ok 14 psp.dev_rotate # SKIP No PSP devices found
> [...]

To be clear - in this case the DUT also doesn't have a PSP device?
I'm struggling to connect the dots on how this error msg could come
from psp_responder.