Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] macsec: Support VLAN-filtering lower devices

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2026 17:10:27 -0800

On Mon, 5 Jan 2026 12:18:58 +0200 Cosmin Ratiu wrote:
> Before commit [1] this used to accidentally work because the macsec
> device (and thus the lower device) was put in promiscuous mode and the
> VLAN filter was not used. But after commit [1] correctly made the macsec
> driver expose the IFF_UNICAST_FLT flag, promiscuous mode was no longer
> used and VLAN filters on dev 1 kicked in. Without support in dev 2 for
> propagating VLAN filters down, the register_vlan_dev -> vlan_vid_add ->
> __vlan_vid_add -> vlan_add_rx_filter_info call from dev 3 is silently
> eaten (because vlan_hw_filter_capable returns false and
> vlan_add_rx_filter_info silently succeeds).
> 
> [1] commit 0349659fd72f ("macsec: set IFF_UNICAST_FLT priv flag")

It used to work and now it doesn't sounds like a description of a fix.
Whether the working state was by design or accidental doesn't really
matter, I think? Please explain or resend for net with a Fixes..
-- 
pw-bot: cr