Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v11 7/7] selftests: netconsole: validate target resume

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2026 17:45:05 -0800

On Wed, 21 Jan 2026 22:04:23 +0000 Andre Carvalho wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2026 at 05:20:57PM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Jan 2026 11:00:27 +0000 Andre Carvalho wrote:  
> > > +++ b/tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/netcons_resume.sh  
> > 
> > There's too many of them now and they keep failing on real HW.  
> 
> Since these tests are only using netdevsim I was a bit surprised about the failures
> on real HW runs.

My main point is that even if we fix the HW setups to do the right thing
in systemd policies - the tests are running against netdevsim, not the
precious HW present on those setups. The HW setups have actual physical
NICs, driver tests are expected to use netdevsim if $NETIF is not set,
and if set whatever existing netdev $NETIF is pointing to.

I don't remember the history, it's quite possible that Breno wanted to
have a separate target for netcons from the start and I pushed back.
I think we reached the point where we want to create a target.