Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] net: phy: dp83867: add numeric impedance DT property

From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2026 08:42:27 -0600

On Thu, Jan 29, 2026 at 11:31:29AM -0600, Andrew Davis wrote:
> On 1/29/26 8:13 AM, Teresa Remmet wrote:
> > Introduce a new way to set the output impedance over device tree.
> > So far it is possible to pass the value either over an nvmem
> > cell or to set the min and max booleans over device tree.
> > 
> 
> We have a similar issue in our networking driver, we can either get
> the MAC address though a NVMEM cell, or when that is unavailable use
> fallback to using a hardcoded value in DT.
> 
> I wonder if it would make sense to add a new type of NVMEM cell that
> encodes the content of the cell in DT itself..

I don't think DT should be providing fake nvmem...

The firmware/bootloader could read nvmem and always populate the DT MAC 
address property.

Or Linux can provide a single API that reads from different sources.

Rob