Subject: Re: [PATCH net 1/3] net: ethernet: ti: am65-cpsw-nuss: set irq_disabled after disabling RX IRQ

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 18:48:03 -0800

On Fri, 20 Feb 2026 09:41:57 +0530 Siddharth Vadapalli wrote:
> The 'irq_disabled' variable indicates the current state of the RX IRQ and
> is used by the RX NAPI handler to determine whether the IRQ should be
> enabled.
> 
> Currently, 'irq_disabled' is set before actually disabling the IRQ by
> invoking disable_irq_nosync(). In an SMP environment, this leads to a race
> condition wherein the processor taking the interrupt sets 'irq_disabled'
> while another processor executing a previous instance of the RX NAPI
> handler sees 'irq_disabled' set and invokes enable_irq() before the RX IRQ
> is actually disabled by disable_irq_nosync(). This results in the following
> warning:
> 	Unbalanced enable for IRQ ...
> 
> Fix this by disabling the RX IRQ using disable_irq_nosync() before setting
> 'irq_disabled'.

I'm not sure this is enough. The IRQ enable/disable serves as barriers
so the ordering is sane. I think the problem is that there are multiple
paths for Rx which may schedule NAPI, not just the path from the IRQ
handler. If the state changes have to be atomic you need a lock.