Subject: [PATCH v19 nf-next 0/5] conntrack: bridge: add double vlan, pppoe and pppoe-in-q

From: Eric Woudstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2026 07:53:01 +0100

Conntrack bridge only tracks untagged and 802.1q.

To make the bridge-fastpath experience more similar to the
forward-fastpath experience, introduce patches for double vlan,
pppoe and pppoe-in-q tagged packets to bridge conntrack and to
bridge filter chain.

Changes in v19:

- Add net: pppoe: avoid zero-length arrays in struct pppoe_hdr.
   (It was part of other patch-set of mine, moved to this patch-set)

Changes in v18:

- Rebased
- ‎nf_conntrack_bridge: added #include <linux/ppp_defs.h>
- nf_checksum(_partial)(): changed WARN_ON to WARN_ON_ONCE.
- nft_set_bridge_pktinfo(): changed call to pskb_may_pull() to
   skb_header_pointer().

Changes in v17:

- Add patch for nft_set_pktinfo_ipv4/6_validate() adding nhoff argument.
- Stopped using skb_set_network_header() in nft_set_bridge_pktinfo,
   using the new offset for nft_set_pktinfo_ipv4/6_validate instead.
- When pskb_may_pull() fails in nft_set_bridge_pktinfo() set proto to 0,
   resulting in pktinfo unspecified.

Changes in v16:

- Changed nft_chain_filter patch: Only help populating pktinfo offsets,
   call nft_do_chain() with original network_offset.
- Changed commit messages.
- Removed kernel-doc comments.

Changes in v15:

- Do not munge skb->protocol.
- Introduce nft_set_bridge_pktinfo() helper.
- Introduce nf_ct_bridge_pre_inner() helper.
- nf_ct_bridge_pre(): Don't trim on ph->hdr.length, only compare to what
   ip header claims and return NF_ACCEPT if it does not match.
- nf_ct_bridge_pre(): Renamed u32 data_len to pppoe_len.
- nf_ct_bridge_pre(): Reset network_header only when ret == NF_ACCEPT.
- nf_checksum(_partial)(): Use of skb_network_offset().
- nf_checksum(_partial)(): Use 'if (WARN_ON()) return 0' instead.
- nf_checksum(_partial)(): Added comments

Changes in v14:

- nf_checksum(_patial): Use DEBUG_NET_WARN_ON_ONCE(
   !skb_pointer_if_linear()) instead of pskb_may_pull().
- nft_do_chain_bridge: Added default case ph->proto is neither
   ipv4 nor ipv6.
- nft_do_chain_bridge: only reset network header when ret == NF_ACCEPT.

Changes in v13:

- Do not use pull/push before/after calling nf_conntrack_in() or
   nft_do_chain().
- Add patch to correct calculating checksum when skb->data !=
   skb_network_header(skb).

Changes in v12:

- Only allow tracking this traffic when a conntrack zone is set.
- nf_ct_bridge_pre(): skb pull/push without touching the checksum,
   because the pull is always restored with push.
- nft_do_chain_bridge(): handle the extra header similar to
   nf_ct_bridge_pre(), using pull/push.

Changes in v11:

- nft_do_chain_bridge(): Proper readout of encapsulated proto.
- nft_do_chain_bridge(): Use skb_set_network_header() instead of thoff.
- removed test script, it is now in separate patch.

v10 split from patch-set: bridge-fastpath and related improvements v9

Eric Woudstra (5):
  net: pppoe: avoid zero-length arrays in struct pppoe_hdr
  netfilter: utils: nf_checksum(_partial) correct data!=networkheader
  netfilter: bridge: Add conntrack double vlan and pppoe
  netfilter: nft_set_pktinfo_ipv4/6_validate: Add nhoff argument
  netfilter: nft_chain_filter: Add bridge double vlan and pppoe

 drivers/net/ppp/pppoe.c                    |  2 +-
 include/net/netfilter/nf_tables_ipv4.h     | 21 +++--
 include/net/netfilter/nf_tables_ipv6.h     | 21 +++--
 include/uapi/linux/if_pppox.h              |  4 +
 net/bridge/netfilter/nf_conntrack_bridge.c | 93 ++++++++++++++++++----
 net/netfilter/nft_chain_filter.c           | 59 ++++++++++++--
 net/netfilter/utils.c                      | 28 +++++--
 7 files changed, 182 insertions(+), 46 deletions(-)

-- 
2.53.0