Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 5/5] selftests: drivers: hw: add tests for the ethtool standard counters

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2026 18:25:11 -0800

On Thu, 26 Feb 2026 16:18:21 +0200 Ioana Ciornei wrote:
> > How about, fail the test if any are greater than 1% of the number of
> > packets transmitted/received? My _guess_ is, if you have 1% packet
> > loss, networking is not going to be happy anyway. It probably means
> > you have one end doing Half duplex and the other Full. That is a
> > typical configuration error you see causing collisions. Not that i've
> > actually seen this for maybe a decade!
> > 
> > Failing the test, with a comment about checking duplex configuration,
> > seems sensible.  
> 
> Seems reasonable. Thanks for the help!

FWIW the expectation is that the test should be able to run even on
systems / boards with a single interface. So the control traffic
(communicating with the traffic generator) will run over the same
interface as the test. 1% error is unachievable. I'd only check the
lower bound, and use some sanity value for the upper bound (2^30 ?)
if at all