Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 4/5] net: stmmac: Add write_hw parameter to VLAN filter operations

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2026 11:04:08 -0800

On Wed, 25 Feb 2026 14:24:13 +0000 Ovidiu Panait wrote:
> Add a write_hw parameter to the VLAN add/delete HW filter functions and
> to stmmac_vlan_update(). This flag controls whether the actual hardware
> register accesses are performed. When set to false, only the software
> state is updated.
> 
> The next commit will use this to defer hardware writes when the
> interface is down.

I wonder if instead of passing attributes like this around the driver
shouldn't simply maintain a flag (or have other way to test) whether
the clock to block X is currently enabled? It feels more like a global
state / property than trickiness directly related to VLAN config.

Also any strong reason to post this for net-next? We take fixes via 
the net tree, so when you repost please use "PATCH net". And an
appropriate Fixes tag on the last patch would be great to have
(presumably just ed64639bc1e0 again?)
-- 
pw-bot: cr