Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 0/2] selftests: rds: refactor and expand rds selftests test

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2026 17:33:02 -0800

On Sun,  1 Mar 2026 22:55:16 -0700 Allison Henderson wrote:
> This series aims to improve the current rds selftests.  The first patch
> refactors the existing test.py such that the networking set up can be
> reused as general purpose infrastructure for other tests.  The existing
> send and receive code is hoisted into a separate rds_basic.py.  The next
> patch adds a new rds_stress.py that exercises RDS via the external
> rds-stress tool from the rds-tools package if it is available on the host.
> We add two new flags to test.py, -b and -s to select rds_basic or
> rds_stress respectively.  The intent is to make the RDS selftests more
> modular and extensible.  Let me know what you all think.
> 
> Questions, comments, suggestions appreciated!

IDK Allison. I tried to integrate the remaining tests with Netdev CI
this weekend. The two groups of networking tests which can't be run
like all the other selftests are vsock and RDS. I get vsock being
different. vsock is used to communicate between VMs and host, setting
up the vms with the locally built kernel makes it different.

But I'm not exactly sure what makes RDS different. Would you mind
explaining the challenges with fitting RDS into the ksft framework?