Subject: [net-next V4 0/5] net: ethtool: Track TX pause storm

From: Mohsin Bashir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2026 15:01:44 -0800

With TX pause enabled, if a device cannot deliver received frames to
the stack (e.g., during a system hang), it may generate excessive pause
frames causing a pause storm. This series updates the uAPI to track TX
pause storm events as part of the pause stats (p1), proposes using the
existing pfc-prevention-tout knob to configure the storm watchdog (p2),
adds pause storm protection support for fbnic (p3), and leverages p1
to provide observability into these events for the fbnic (p4) and mlx5
(p5) drivers.

Changelog:
- V4: Drop RFC. No feedback received on V3.

- V3(RFC):
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

- V2:
https://lore.kernel.org/[email-masked]/

- V1:
https://lore.kernel.org/[email-masked]/

Mohsin Bashir (5):
  net: ethtool: Track pause storm events
  net: ethtool: Update doc for tunable
  eth: fbnic: Add protection against pause storm
  eth: fbnic: Fetch TX pause storm stats
  eth: mlx5: Move pause storm errors to pause stats

 Documentation/netlink/specs/ethtool.yaml      |  13 ++
 .../ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_stats.c    |  30 +++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic.h       |   3 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_csr.h   |  11 ++
 .../net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_ethtool.c   |  46 ++++++++
 .../net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_hw_stats.h  |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_irq.c   |   2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_mac.c   | 111 ++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_mac.h   |  27 +++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/meta/fbnic/fbnic_pci.c   |   5 +
 include/linux/ethtool.h                       |   2 +
 include/uapi/linux/ethtool.h                  |   2 +-
 .../uapi/linux/ethtool_netlink_generated.h    |   1 +
 net/ethtool/pause.c                           |   4 +-
 14 files changed, 256 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

-- 
2.47.3