Subject: [PATCH bpf-next v3 0/6] bpf: Enhance __bpf_prog_map_compatible()

From: Leon Hwang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2026 23:06:33 +0800

Following discussion in the "bpf: tail calls in sleepable programs" [1],
this series extends __bpf_prog_map_compatible() with additional per-program
compatibility checks.

The series validates these attributes:

* kprobe_write_ctx: for uprobe programs that can update pt_regs.
* call_get_func_ip: for tracing programs using bpf_get_func_ip().
* call_session_cookie: for fsession programs using bpf_session_cookie().

kprobe_write_ctx progs can be abused to modify pt_regs of kprobe progs via
tail calls. As in the test in patch #6, a kprobe prog can "regs->di = 0;"
when it runs as a tail callee. Thus, bpf_prog_test_run_opts() gets -EFAULT
instead of success.

call_get_func_ip progs could get a bogus func IP when they run as tail
callees, because the tail caller does not prepare the func IP on the
trampoline stack. As in the test in patch #6, it gets the RBX value on
stack instead of the true func IP.

call_session_cookie progs can modify the first arg value on the trampoline
stack. As in the test in patch #6, bpf_prog_test_run_opts() also gets -EFAULT
because the first arg is modified by "*cookie = 0;".

Links:
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/[email-masked]/

Changes:
v2 -> v3:
* Address comment from bot+bpf-ci:
  * Guard call_get_func_ip and call_session_cookie with "has_trampoline" for
    BPF_MAP_OWNER_MATCH_FOR_INIT.
* v2: https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/[email-masked]/

v1 -> v2:
* Factor out bpf_map_owner_init() and bpf_map_owner_matches() helpers.
* Drop the "call_session_is_return" case, because the "is_return" value is
  always prepared for fsession progs.
* Address comments from Alexei:
  * Use bitfields like 'u32 jited:1;'.
  * Reimplement selftests.
* v1: https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/[email-masked]/

Leon Hwang (6):
  bpf: Add fsession to verbose log in check_get_func_ip()
  bpf: Factor out bpf_map_owner_[init,matches]() helpers
  bpf: Disallow !kprobe_write_ctx progs tail-calling kprobe_write_ctx
    progs
  bpf: Disallow !call_get_func_ip progs tail-calling call_get_func_ip
    progs
  bpf: Disallow !call_session_cookie progs tail-calling
    call_session_cookie progs
  selftests/bpf: Add tests to verify prog_array map compatibility

 include/linux/bpf.h                           |   9 +-
 kernel/bpf/core.c                             | 141 +++++---
 kernel/bpf/verifier.c                         |   2 +-
 .../selftests/bpf/prog_tests/tailcalls.c      | 319 ++++++++++++++++++
 .../bpf/progs/tailcall_map_compatible.c       | 103 ++++++
 5 files changed, 524 insertions(+), 50 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/tailcall_map_compatible.c

-- 
2.52.0