Subject: [PATCH net v4 1/2] bonding: fix null-ptr-deref in bond_rr_gen_slave_id()

From: Jiayuan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2026 15:42:57 +0800

From: Jiayuan Chen <[email-masked]>

bond_rr_gen_slave_id() dereferences bond->rr_tx_counter without a NULL
check. rr_tx_counter is a per-CPU counter only allocated in bond_open()
when the bond mode is round-robin. If the bond device was never brought
up, rr_tx_counter remains NULL, causing a null-ptr-deref.

The XDP redirect path can reach this code even when the bond is not up:
bpf_master_redirect_enabled_key is a global static key, so when any bond
device has native XDP attached, the XDP_TX -> xdp_master_redirect()
interception is enabled for all bond slaves system-wide. This allows the
path xdp_master_redirect() -> bond_xdp_get_xmit_slave() ->
bond_xdp_xmit_roundrobin_slave_get() -> bond_rr_gen_slave_id() to be
reached on a bond that was never opened.

Fix this by allocating rr_tx_counter unconditionally in bond_init()
(ndo_init), which is called by register_netdevice() and covers both
device creation paths (bond_create() and bond_newlink()). This also
handles the case where bond mode is changed to round-robin after device
creation. The conditional allocation in bond_open() is removed. Since
bond_destructor() already unconditionally calls
free_percpu(bond->rr_tx_counter), the lifecycle is clean: allocate at
ndo_init, free at destructor.

Note: rr_tx_counter is only used by round-robin mode, so this
deliberately allocates a per-cpu u32 that goes unused for other modes.
Conditional allocation (e.g., in bond_option_mode_set) was considered
but rejected: the XDP path can race with mode changes on a downed bond,
and adding memory barriers to the XDP hot path is not justified for
saving 4 bytes per CPU.

Fixes: 879af96ffd72 ("net, core: Add support for XDP redirection to slave device")
Reported-by: [email-masked]
Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/T/
Signed-off-by: Jiayuan Chen <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c | 19 +++++++++++++------
 1 file changed, 13 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
index 78cff904cdc3..55b5c7a6cb5f 100644
--- a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
+++ b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
@@ -4279,12 +4279,6 @@ static int bond_open(struct net_device *bond_dev)
 	struct list_head *iter;
 	struct slave *slave;
 
-	if (BOND_MODE(bond) == BOND_MODE_ROUNDROBIN && !bond->rr_tx_counter) {
-		bond->rr_tx_counter = alloc_percpu(u32);
-		if (!bond->rr_tx_counter)
-			return -ENOMEM;
-	}
-
 	/* reset slave->backup and slave->inactive */
 	if (bond_has_slaves(bond)) {
 		bond_for_each_slave(bond, slave, iter) {
@@ -6411,6 +6405,19 @@ static int bond_init(struct net_device *bond_dev)
 	if (!bond->wq)
 		return -ENOMEM;
 
+	/* rr_tx_counter is only used in round-robin mode, but we allocate
+	 * it unconditionally because the XDP redirect path
+	 * (xdp_master_redirect -> bond_xdp_get_xmit_slave) can reach here
+	 * even when the bond is not up, and deferring allocation to
+	 * bond_open or bond_option_mode_set would require memory barriers
+	 * on the XDP hot path. The cost is a per-cpu u32 per bond device.
+	 */
+	bond->rr_tx_counter = alloc_percpu(u32);
+	if (!bond->rr_tx_counter) {
+		destroy_workqueue(bond->wq);
+		return -ENOMEM;
+	}
+
 	bond->notifier_ctx = false;
 
 	spin_lock_init(&bond->stats_lock);
-- 
2.43.0