Subject: [PATCH net v5 0/2] net,bpf: fix null-ptr-deref in xdp_master_redirect() for bonding and add selftest

From: Jiayuan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2026 11:06:57 +0800

syzkaller reported a kernel panic [1] with the following crash stack:

Call Trace:
BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffff8ebd08580000
PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode
PF: error_code(0x0002) - not-present page
PGD 11f201067 P4D 11f201067 PUD 0
Oops: Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP PTI
CPU: 2 UID: 0 PID: 451 Comm: test_progs Not tainted 6.19.0+ #161 PREEMPT_RT
RIP: 0010:bond_rr_gen_slave_id+0x90/0xd0
RSP: 0018:ffffd3f4815f3448 EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: 0000000000000001 RBX: 0000000000000001 RCX: ffff8ebc8728b17e
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffffd3f4815f3538 RDI: ffff8ebc8abcce40
RBP: ffffd3f4815f3460 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: ffffd3f4815f3538
R13: ffff8ebc8abcce40 R14: ffff8ebc8728b17f R15: ffff8ebc8728b170
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: ffff8ebd08580000 CR3: 000000010a808006 CR4: 0000000000770ef0
PKRU: 55555554
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 bond_xdp_get_xmit_slave+0xc0/0x240
 xdp_master_redirect+0x74/0xc0
 bpf_prog_run_generic_xdp+0x2f2/0x3f0
 do_xdp_generic+0x1fd/0x3d0
 __netif_receive_skb_core.constprop.0+0x30d/0x1220
 __netif_receive_skb_list_core+0xfc/0x250
 netif_receive_skb_list_internal+0x20c/0x3d0
 ? eth_type_trans+0x137/0x160
 netif_receive_skb_list+0x25/0x140
 xdp_test_run_batch.constprop.0+0x65b/0x6e0
 bpf_test_run_xdp_live+0x1ec/0x3b0
 bpf_prog_test_run_xdp+0x49d/0x6e0
 __sys_bpf+0x446/0x27b0
 __x64_sys_bpf+0x1a/0x30
 x64_sys_call+0x146c/0x26e0
 do_syscall_64+0xd3/0x1510
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e

Problem Description

bond_rr_gen_slave_id() dereferences bond->rr_tx_counter without a NULL
check. rr_tx_counter is a per-CPU counter only allocated in bond_open()
when the bond mode is round-robin. If the bond device was never brought
up, rr_tx_counter remains NULL.

The XDP redirect path can reach this code even when the bond is not up:
bpf_master_redirect_enabled_key is a global static key, so when any bond
device has native XDP attached, the XDP_TX -> xdp_master_redirect()
interception is enabled for all bond slaves system-wide.

Solution

Patch 1: Add a NULL check with unlikely() in bond_rr_gen_slave_id() before
dereferencing rr_tx_counter. When rr_tx_counter is NULL (bond was never
opened), fall back to get_random_u32() for slave selection. The existing
allocation in bond_open() is kept, with WRITE_ONCE() added to pair with
the READ_ONCE() in the NULL check.
Patch 2: Add a selftest that reproduces the above scenario.

Changes since v4:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/
- Reverted unconditional alloc in bond_init(); instead add a NULL check
  with unlikely()/READ_ONCE() in bond_rr_gen_slave_id() and WRITE_ONCE()
  in bond_open(), avoiding memory waste for non-RR modes
  (Suggested by Nikolay Aleksandrov, patch by Jay Vosburgh)

Changes since v3:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/T/#t
- Added code comment and commit log explaining why rr_tx_counter is
  allocated unconditionally for all modes (Suggested by Jay Vosburgh)

Changes since v2:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/T/#t
- Moved allocation from bond_create_init() helper into bond_init()
  (ndo_init), which is the natural single point covering both creation
  paths and also handles post-creation mode changes to round-robin

Changes since v1:
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/T/#t
- Moved the guard for NULL rr_tx_counter from xdp_master_redirect()
  into the bonding subsystem itself
  (Suggested by Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <[email-masked]>)

[1] https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=80e046b8da2820b6ba73

Jiayuan Chen (2):
  bonding: fix null-ptr-deref in bond_rr_gen_slave_id()
  selftests/bpf: add test for xdp_master_redirect with bond not up

 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c               |   9 +-
 .../selftests/bpf/prog_tests/xdp_bonding.c    | 101 +++++++++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 106 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

-- 
2.43.0