Subject: [PATCH] bpf: use RCU-safe iteration in dev_map_redirect_multi() SKB path

From: David Carlier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2026 16:24:20 +0000

The DEVMAP_HASH branch in dev_map_redirect_multi() uses
hlist_for_each_entry_safe() to iterate hash buckets, but this function
runs under RCU protection (called from xdp_do_generic_redirect_map()
in softirq context). Concurrent writers (__dev_map_hash_update_elem,
dev_map_hash_delete_elem) modify the list using RCU primitives
(hlist_add_head_rcu, hlist_del_rcu).

hlist_for_each_entry_safe() performs plain pointer dereferences without
rcu_dereference(), missing the acquire barrier needed to pair with
writers' rcu_assign_pointer(). On weakly-ordered architectures (ARM64,
POWER), a reader can observe a partially-constructed node. It also
defeats CONFIG_PROVE_RCU lockdep validation and KCSAN data-race
detection.

Replace with hlist_for_each_entry_rcu(), matching the XDP-frame path
(dev_map_enqueue_multi) which already uses the correct macro for the
same hash iteration.

Fixes: e624d4ed4aa8 ("xdp: Extend xdp_redirect_map with broadcast support")
Signed-off-by: David Carlier <[email-masked]>
---
 kernel/bpf/devmap.c | 3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/kernel/bpf/devmap.c b/kernel/bpf/devmap.c
index 3d619d01088e..c8d256405c29 100644
--- a/kernel/bpf/devmap.c
+++ b/kernel/bpf/devmap.c
@@ -747,7 +747,6 @@ int dev_map_redirect_multi(struct net_device *dev, struct sk_buff *skb,
 	struct bpf_dtab_netdev *dst, *last_dst = NULL;
 	int excluded_devices[1+MAX_NEST_DEV];
 	struct hlist_head *head;
-	struct hlist_node *next;
 	int num_excluded = 0;
 	unsigned int i;
 	int err;
@@ -787,7 +786,7 @@ int dev_map_redirect_multi(struct net_device *dev, struct sk_buff *skb,
 	} else { /* BPF_MAP_TYPE_DEVMAP_HASH */
 		for (i = 0; i < dtab->n_buckets; i++) {
 			head = dev_map_index_hash(dtab, i);
-			hlist_for_each_entry_safe(dst, next, head, index_hlist) {
+			hlist_for_each_entry_rcu(dst, head, index_hlist, lockdep_is_held(&dtab->index_lock)) {
 				if (is_ifindex_excluded(excluded_devices, num_excluded,
 							dst->dev->ifindex))
 					continue;
-- 
2.53.0