Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] dt-bindings: net: Remove redundant ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22 fallback

From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 14:48:03 -0500

On Fri, Mar 13, 2026 at 01:06:21PM +0000, Biju wrote:
> From: Biju Das <[email-masked]>
> 
> Drop the ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22 compatible string from ethernet PHY
> bindings and their examples. The c22 fallback is implicitly assumed for
> PHY ID-based compatible strings and does not need to be stated explicitly,
> unlike c45 which requires opt-in.
> 
> Remove the c22 pattern from the ethernet-phy.yaml schema and update
> examples in amlogic,g12a-mdio-mux, mscc-phy-vsc8531, renesas,ether,
> and renesas,etheravb bindings accordingly.

This will introduce a ton of warnings in .dts files which I don't think 
anyone wants to go fix.

While I think it's redundant to have the c22 (or c45) fallback as it 
isn't really useful on its own, I think we are too far down that path.

You need a custom 'select' in all the schemas that have a c22 
compatible to exclude it from matching.

Rob