Subject: [PATCH net] net: psp: check for device unregister when creating assoc

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 13:51:07 -0700

psp_assoc_device_get_locked() obtains a psp_dev reference via
psp_dev_get_for_sock() (which uses psp_dev_tryget() under RCU);
it then acquires psd->lock and drops the reference. Before
the lock is taken, psp_dev_unregister() can run to completion:
take psd->lock, clear out state, unlock, drop the registration
reference.

The expectation is that the lock prevents device unregistration,
but much like with netdevs special care has to be taken when
"upgrading" a reference to a locked device. Add the missing
check if device is still alive. psp_dev_is_registered() exists
already but had no callers, which makes me wonder if I either
forgot to add this or lost the check during refactoring...

Reported-by: Yiming Qian <[email-masked]>
Fixes: 6b46ca260e22 ("net: psp: add socket security association code")
Signed-off-by: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
---
CC: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
---
 net/psp/psp_nl.c | 5 +++++
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/psp/psp_nl.c b/net/psp/psp_nl.c
index 6afd7707ec12..c7c377a7790d 100644
--- a/net/psp/psp_nl.c
+++ b/net/psp/psp_nl.c
@@ -320,6 +320,11 @@ int psp_assoc_device_get_locked(const struct genl_split_ops *ops,
 	id = info->attrs[PSP_A_ASSOC_DEV_ID];
 	if (psd) {
 		mutex_lock(&psd->lock);
+		if (!psp_dev_is_registered(psd)) {
+			mutex_unlock(&psd->lock);
+			err = -ENODEV;
+			goto err_psd_put;
+		}
 		if (id && psd->id != nla_get_u32(id)) {
 			mutex_unlock(&psd->lock);
 			NL_SET_ERR_MSG_ATTR(info->extack, id,
-- 
2.53.0