Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/3] net: pse-pd: support module-based PSE controller drivers

From: Carlo Szelinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2026 15:29:49 +0200

When a PSE controller driver is built as a module, it may not be probed
yet when PHYs are registered on the MDIO bus. This causes
of_pse_control_get() to return -EPROBE_DEFER, destroying the PHY device.
Later, regulator_late_cleanup disables the unclaimed PSE regulators,
permanently killing PoE.

This series fixes the issue in three steps:

  1. Add an admin_state_synced flag to pse_pi so that pse_pi_is_enabled()
     reports unclaimed PIs as disabled, preventing regulator_late_cleanup
     from shutting them down. The existing dual-path behavior (software-
     tracked vs. hardware-queried state) is preserved for claimed PIs.

  2. Add pse_control_try_resolve() for lazy PSE control resolution on
     first ethtool access, serialized by RTNL.

  3. Treat -EPROBE_DEFER as non-fatal during PHY registration, allowing
     the PHY to register with psec=NULL. This is ordered last because it
     changes probe behavior and relies on patches 1 and 2 for correct
     lazy resolution.

Thanks to Kory Maincent for the review and feedback on v1.

Changes in v2:
  - Reordered patches: moved the EPROBE_DEFER patch last since it
    changes probe behavior and depends on the other two patches for
    correct lazy resolution (Kory Maincent)
  - Added net-next to subject prefix (Kory Maincent)
  - Collected Acked-by tags

Carlo Szelinsky (3):
  net: pse-pd: prevent regulator cleanup from disabling unclaimed PSE
    PIs
  net: pse-pd: add lazy PSE control resolution for modular drivers
  net: mdio: treat PSE EPROBE_DEFER as non-fatal during PHY registration

 drivers/net/mdio/fwnode_mdio.c |  8 ++++--
 drivers/net/pse-pd/pse_core.c  | 49 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/pse-pd/pse.h     |  6 +++++
 net/ethtool/pse-pd.c           |  4 +++
 4 files changed, 65 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: cf0d9080c6f795bc6be08babbffa29b62c06e9b0
--
2.43.0