Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/7] phy: ti: gmii-sel: add support for J722S SoC family

From: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2026 01:37:41 +0300

Hi Nora,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2026 at 01:29:41PM +0100, Nora Schiffer wrote:
> The J722S gmii-sel is mostly identical to the AM64's, but additionally
> supports SGMII.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Nora Schiffer <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/phy/ti/phy-gmii-sel.c | 11 +++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 11 insertions(+)
> 
> diff --git a/drivers/phy/ti/phy-gmii-sel.c b/drivers/phy/ti/phy-gmii-sel.c
> index 6213c2b6005a5..4e242b1892334 100644
> --- a/drivers/phy/ti/phy-gmii-sel.c
> +++ b/drivers/phy/ti/phy-gmii-sel.c
> @@ -251,6 +251,13 @@ struct phy_gmii_sel_soc_data phy_gmii_sel_soc_am654 = {
>  	.regfields = phy_gmii_sel_fields_am654,
>  };
>  
> +static const
> +struct phy_gmii_sel_soc_data phy_gmii_sel_soc_j722s = {
> +	.use_of_data = true,
> +	.regfields = phy_gmii_sel_fields_am654,
> +	.extra_modes = BIT(PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_SGMII),

I'm not familiar with the hardware, but "mostly identical to AM64, but
additionally supports SGMII" does not explain why j722s does not inherit
the features that am654 has (PHY_GMII_SEL_RGMII_ID_MODE and
BIT(PHY_GMII_SEL_FIXED_TX_DELAY).

The phy-gmii-sel from j722s does support RGMII, right? Because in lack
of the PHY_GMII_SEL_RGMII_ID_MODE feature, phy_gmii_sel_mode() will just
silently skip the regmap_field_write(regfield, rgmii_id) call, and
return successfully despite an incomplete configuration.

We have the phy_validate() call and phy_ops::validate() through which
the PHY can report to the Ethernet controller which phy_interface_t it
supports and which it doesn't. If the j722s doesn't support RGMII, maybe
it should implement this method.

> +};
> +