Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Deprecate Legacy IP

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2026 22:27:32 +0200

On Wed, 01 Apr 2026 09:25:08 +0100
David Woodhouse <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2026-04-01 at 10:07 +0200, Fernando Fernandez Mancera wrote:
> >  
> > 
> > Dammit, you've beaten me to it! This was my next step for 7.2.
> > 
> > Fully-endorsed-by: Fernando Fernandez Mancera <[email-masked]>  
> 
> Yeah. The date notwithstanding, 

You tricked me on this April fools day...

Very funny!

> I do actually think we should do most
> of this for real.
> 
> Maybe we don't get away with the actual deprecation and the warnings on
> use *just* yet, and *maybe* we won't even get away with calling the
> config option CONFIG_LEGACY_IP, although I would genuinely like to see
> us moving consistently towards saying "Legacy IP" instead of "IPv4"
> everywhere.

IPv4 is not legacy yet... Lots of configurations, service providers
and corporations that requires the usage of VPN are IPv4 only still
today. For instance, my paid VPN provider only grants IPv4 addresses
(at least for those not using their proprietary software).

> 
> But we *should* clean up the separation of CONFIG_INET and
> CONFIG_IPV[64] and make it possible to build with either protocol
> alone.

That makes sense on my eyes.

Thanks,
Mauro