Subject: [PATCH net-next v4 0/2] net: pse-pd: add poll path and LED trigger support

From: Carlo Szelinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 14:44:26 +0200

Thanks to Kory, Oleksij, Krzysztof and Andrew for all the helpful
feedback on earlier versions - really appreciate the time you put
into reviewing this.

This series adds poll-based event detection and LED trigger support
to the PSE core subsystem.

Patch 1 introduces the poll path independently of LED support,
so it can be tested in isolation on boards with and without IRQ
configured.

Patch 2 adds LED triggers that hook into the shared event handling
path introduced by patch 1.

Note: pse_handle_events() and the existing pse_isr() pass notifs_mask
as a single unsigned long, which limits the bitmask to BITS_PER_LONG
PI lines. This is a pre-existing constraint in the IRQ path and is
sufficient for all current PSE controllers (max 48 ports vs 64-bit
unsigned long), but may need to be converted to DECLARE_BITMAP() if
future hardware exceeds this limit.

Changes since v3:
- Dropped the dt-bindings poll-interval-ms patch: the poll interval
  is a driver decision, not a hardware property (Krzysztof)
- Removed of_property_read_u32() for poll-interval-ms from
  devm_pse_poll_helper(); the 500ms default is now hardcoded but
  drivers can override pcdev->poll_interval_ms before calling the
  helper
- Rebased on net-next/main

Changes since v2:
- Based on net-next/main, added net-next subject prefix
- Added --base tree information
- Added CC for devicetree list and DT maintainers
- Collected Reviewed-by from Kory Maincent on patch 1/3
- Fixed build error when CONFIG_LEDS_TRIGGERS is disabled:
  moved LED registration before list_add(), removing the
  pcdev->pi_led_trigs = NULL assignment on conditionally
  compiled struct member (reported by kernel test robot)
- Fixed use-after-free on device unbind: poll work is now
  cancelled via devm_add_action_or_reset() to ensure correct
  devres teardown ordering (poll_work cancelled before
  poll_notifs is freed)
- Used system_freezable_wq for poll worker to prevent hardware
  access during system suspend
- Added PoDL power status and admin state checks to LED triggers
  so they work for both C33 and PoDL controller types
- Used dev_name(dev) for LED trigger names to ensure uniqueness
  across multiple PSE controllers (of_node->name can be generic)
- Added initial LED state query at registration so already-active
  ports are reflected immediately
- Added pse_led_update() calls in regulator enable/disable paths
  so ethtool admin state changes are reflected in LEDs
- Moved LED trigger registration before list_add() to prevent
  race where IRQ/poll could invoke pse_led_update() on partially
  initialized triggers

Changes since v1:
- Split single patch into 3 separate patches
- Extracted pse_handle_events() and devm_pse_poll_helper() as a
  standalone poll path (patches 1-2), testable without LED code
- Added DT binding for poll-interval-ms as a separate patch
- Renamed led-poll-interval-ms to poll-interval-ms for generic use
- Fire LED triggers from the notification path rather than a
  separate poll loop

Tested on Realtek RTL9303 with HS104 PoE chip, poll path only
(without IRQ configured). Verified PD connect/disconnect notifications
and LED trigger state changes.

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Carlo Szelinsky (2):
  net: pse-pd: add devm_pse_poll_helper()
  net: pse-pd: add LED trigger support via notification path

 drivers/net/pse-pd/pse_core.c | 296 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 include/linux/pse-pd/pse.h    |  34 ++++
 2 files changed, 299 insertions(+), 31 deletions(-)

base-commit: b3e69fc3196fc421e26196e7792f17b0463edc6f
-- 
2.43.0