Subject: [PATCH bpf-next v4 0/6] bpf: add icmp_send_unreach kfunc

From: Mahe Tardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2026 10:58:10 +0000

Hello,

This is v4 of adding the icmp_send_unreach kfunc, as suggested during
LSF/MM/BPF 2025[^1]. The goal is to allow cgroup_skb programs to
actively reject east-west traffic, similarly to what is possible to do
with netfilter reject target.

The first step to implement this is using ICMP control messages, with
the ICMP_DEST_UNREACH type with various code ICMP_NET_UNREACH,
ICMP_HOST_UNREACH, ICMP_PROT_UNREACH, etc. This is easier to implement
than a TCP RST reply and will already hint the client TCP stack to abort
the connection and not retry extensively.

Note that this is different than the sock_destroy kfunc, that along
calls tcp_abort and thus sends a reset, destroying the underlying
socket.

Caveats of this kfunc design are that a program can call this function N
times, thus send N ICMP unreach control messages and that the program
can return from the BPF filter with pass leading to a potential
confusing situation where the TCP connection was established while the
client received ICMP_DEST_UNREACH messages.

Initially, this kfunc was added only to cgroup_skb programs, Alexei
suggested not creating its own kfunc set and adding it to the more
global bpf_kfunc_set_skb. Now that recursion is handled and I realized,
thanks to Martin, that fetching the dst route might be only useful in
situation in which the packet was not yet routed, I decided to extend
the kfunc to more program types and route the packet only if needed.

v2 updates:
- fix a build error from a missing function call rename;
- avoid changing return line in bpf_kfunc_init;
- return SK_DROP from the kfunc (similarly to bpf_redirect);
- check the return value in the selftest.

v3 update:
- fix an undefined reference build error.

v4 updates:
- prevent the kfunc to be called recursively and add a test (thanks to
  Martin).
- do not fetch dst route when unnecessary (thanks to Martin).
- extend the test for IPv6 (thanks to Martin).
- use SK_DROP in examples and use non blocking sockets for testing
  (thanks to Martin).
- test when the kfunc returns -EINVAL (thanks to Jordan).
- add the kfunc to bpf_kfunc_set_skb as suggested by Alexei.
- guard the IPv4 parts with IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_INET).
- fix a wrong initial value for client_fd (thanks to Yonghong).
- add documentation to the kfunc.
- to Jordan: I couldn't include <linux/icmp.h> because of redefines from
  <network_helpers.h>.

[^1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/1022034/

Mahe Tardy (6):
  net: move netfilter nf_reject_fill_skb_dst to core ipv4
  net: move netfilter nf_reject6_fill_skb_dst to core ipv6
  bpf: add bpf_icmp_send_unreach kfunc
  selftests/bpf: add icmp_send_unreach kfunc tests
  selftests/bpf: add icmp_send_unreach kfunc IPv6 tests
  selftests/bpf: add icmp_send_unreach_recursion test

 include/net/ip6_route.h                       |   2 +
 include/net/route.h                           |   1 +
 net/core/filter.c                             |  85 ++++++++
 net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_reject_ipv4.c           |  19 +-
 net/ipv4/route.c                              |  15 ++
 net/ipv6/netfilter/nf_reject_ipv6.c           |  17 +-
 net/ipv6/route.c                              |  18 ++
 .../bpf/prog_tests/icmp_send_unreach_kfunc.c  | 202 ++++++++++++++++++
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/icmp_send_unreach.c   | 100 +++++++++
 9 files changed, 426 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/prog_tests/icmp_send_unreach_kfunc.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/icmp_send_unreach.c

--
2.34.1