Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v6 1/6] net: mana: Create separate EQs for each vPort

From: Simon Horman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2026 16:23:55 +0100

From: 'Simon Horman' <[email-masked]>

This is an AI-generated review of your patch. The human sending this
email has considered the AI review valid, or at least plausible.
Full review at: https://sashiko.dev
---
net: mana: Create separate EQs for each vPort

This change moves EQ ownership from struct mana_context to struct
mana_port_context so each vPort can have dedicated EQs, and exports
mana_create_eq()/mana_destroy_eq() for use by the MANA RDMA driver.

> diff --git a/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/main.c b/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/main.c
> index ac5e75dd3494..60cc02e4ad10 100644
> --- a/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/main.c
> +++ b/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/main.c
> @@ -20,8 +20,10 @@ void mana_ib_uncfg_vport(struct mana_ib_dev *dev, struct mana_ib_pd *pd,
>  	pd->vport_use_count--;
>  	WARN_ON(pd->vport_use_count < 0);
>  
> -	if (!pd->vport_use_count)
> +	if (!pd->vport_use_count) {
> +		mana_destroy_eq(mpc);
>  		mana_uncfg_vport(mpc);
> +	}
>  
>  	mutex_unlock(&pd->vport_mutex);
>  }
> @@ -55,15 +57,21 @@ int mana_ib_cfg_vport(struct mana_ib_dev *dev, u32 port, struct mana_ib_pd *pd,
>  		return err;
>  	}
>  
> -	mutex_unlock(&pd->vport_mutex);
>  
>  	pd->tx_shortform_allowed = mpc->tx_shortform_allowed;
>  	pd->tx_vp_offset = mpc->tx_vp_offset;
> +	err = mana_create_eq(mpc);
> +	if (err) {
> +		mana_uncfg_vport(mpc);
> +		pd->vport_use_count--;
> +	}
> +
> +	mutex_unlock(&pd->vport_mutex);
>  
>  	ibdev_dbg(&dev->ib_dev, "vport handle %llx pdid %x doorbell_id %x\n",
>  		  mpc->port_handle, pd->pdn, doorbell_id);

On the failure path, mana_uncfg_vport() is called and pd->vport_use_count
is decremented, but execution falls through to the ibdev_dbg() line that
prints the vport handle as if it were a success. Should this debug print
be skipped on the error path so logs are not ambiguous?

Also, pd->tx_shortform_allowed and pd->tx_vp_offset are assigned from mpc
before the mana_create_eq() attempt and are not cleared when that call
fails. Callers are expected to gate on pd->vport_use_count, but is it
worth resetting these fields on failure so the state matches the
pre-patch behavior?

The mutex_unlock(&pd->vport_mutex) has moved from before the field
assignments to after mana_create_eq(). That now holds pd->vport_mutex
across GFP_KERNEL allocations, debugfs directory creation, and multiple
mana_gd_create_mana_eq() firmware RPCs, and establishes the lock order
pd->vport_mutex -> apc->vport_mutex via mana_uncfg_vport() on the error
path. Is the extended critical section intentional?

>  
> -	return 0;
> +	return err;
>  }
>  
>  int mana_ib_alloc_pd(struct ib_pd *ibpd, struct ib_udata *udata)
> diff --git a/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/qp.c b/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/qp.c
> index 645581359cee..6f1043383e8c 100644
> --- a/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/qp.c
> +++ b/drivers/infiniband/hw/mana/qp.c
> @@ -168,7 +168,15 @@ static int mana_ib_create_qp_rss(struct ib_qp *ibqp, struct ib_pd *pd,
>  		cq_spec.gdma_region = cq->queue.gdma_region;
>  		cq_spec.queue_size = cq->cqe * COMP_ENTRY_SIZE;
>  		cq_spec.modr_ctx_id = 0;
> -		eq = &mpc->ac->eqs[cq->comp_vector];
> +		/* EQs are created when a raw QP configures the vport.
> +		 * A raw QP must be created before creating rwq_ind_tbl.
> +		 */
> +		if (!mpc->eqs) {
> +			ret = -EINVAL;
> +			i--;
> +			goto fail;
> +		}
> +		eq = &mpc->eqs[cq->comp_vector % mpc->num_queues];

Can the mpc->eqs read race with a concurrent free? mana_ib_create_qp_rss()
runs without pd->vport_mutex or RTNL, but mpc->eqs is freed by
mana_destroy_eq() from two paths:

  mana_ib_uncfg_vport()   (under pd->vport_mutex, on last raw-QP destroy)
  mana_dealloc_queues()   (under RTNL, on netdev down)

both of which do:

  kfree(apc->eqs);
  apc->eqs = NULL;

with no RCU grace period or reader-visible synchronization. If CPU-A
passes the !mpc->eqs check after CPU-B begins ip link set dev X down,
does CPU-A then dereference freed memory via mpc->eqs[...].eq->id?

Separately, what populates mpc->eqs for an RDMA-only RSS QP user on a
probed-but-idle Ethernet port? Pre-patch mana_probe() called
mana_create_eq(ac) unconditionally, so ac->eqs existed for the device
lifetime. After this patch the only creators are mana_alloc_queues()
(Ethernet up) and mana_ib_cfg_vport() (raw QP). An RDMA application that
uses only RSS QPs and never creates a raw QP will now get -EINVAL here
where it used to succeed. Is this intended, and should the commit log
mention it?

The adjacent comment:

   /* EQs are created when a raw QP configures the vport.
    * A raw QP must be created before creating rwq_ind_tbl.
    */

omits the Ethernet-up path that also populates mpc->eqs. Would it be
clearer to describe both creators?

There is also a behavior change in the index expression:

   eq = &mpc->eqs[cq->comp_vector % mpc->num_queues];

Pre-patch this was ac->eqs[cq->comp_vector] sized by gc->max_num_queues.
Now comp_vector is folded modulo mpc->num_queues, which is tunable via
ethtool -L. Userspace that used distinct comp_vector values to hit
distinct EQs will silently alias when comp_vector >= num_queues. Should
this be documented or rejected with -EINVAL rather than silently
wrapped?

Can mpc->num_queues be 0 at this point? mana_set_channels() does not
reject new_count==0, and kzalloc_objs(struct mana_eq, 0) returns
ZERO_SIZE_PTR, which passes the !mpc->eqs check. During the window
between mana_create_eq() and the subsequent netif_set_real_num_tx_queues()
failing, a concurrent RDMA QP create would compute
cq->comp_vector % 0 here. Should mpc->num_queues be validated alongside
mpc->eqs?

The placement of the !mpc->eqs check is inside the per-iteration loop
over ind_tbl_size, but mpc->eqs cannot change across iterations, so the
check is only meaningful at i==0. It works today because i-- then makes
i = -1 and the cleanup while (i-- > 0) skips. Would hoisting the check
above the loop be clearer and less fragile against refactoring?

>  		cq_spec.attached_eq = eq->eq->id;
>  
>  		ret = mana_create_wq_obj(mpc, mpc->port_handle, GDMA_RQ,
> @@ -317,7 +325,11 @@ static int mana_ib_create_qp_raw(struct ib_qp *ibqp, struct ib_pd *ibpd,
>  	cq_spec.queue_size = send_cq->cqe * COMP_ENTRY_SIZE;
>  	cq_spec.modr_ctx_id = 0;
>  	eq_vec = send_cq->comp_vector;
> -	eq = &mpc->ac->eqs[eq_vec];
> +	if (!mpc->eqs) {
> +		err = -EINVAL;
> +		goto err_destroy_queue;
> +	}
> +	eq = &mpc->eqs[eq_vec % mpc->num_queues];

The same mpc->eqs TOCTOU concern applies here: the check and subsequent
dereference occur without pd->vport_mutex or RTNL held, so a concurrent
mana_dealloc_queues() on the Ethernet side can free mpc->eqs between the
check and the index access. Is there synchronization that prevents this?

The same comp_vector % num_queues aliasing and num_queues==0 divide
concerns apply here as well.

>  	cq_spec.attached_eq = eq->eq->id;
>  
>  	err = mana_create_wq_obj(mpc, mpc->port_handle, GDMA_SQ, &wq_spec,
> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
> index a654b3699c4c..6c709f8b875d 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c

[ ... ]

> -static int mana_create_eq(struct mana_context *ac)
> +int mana_create_eq(struct mana_port_context *apc)
>  {
> -	struct gdma_dev *gd = ac->gdma_dev;
> +	struct gdma_dev *gd = apc->ac->gdma_dev;
>  	struct gdma_context *gc = gd->gdma_context;
>  	struct gdma_queue_spec spec = {};
>  	int err;
>  	int i;
>  
> -	ac->eqs = kzalloc_objs(struct mana_eq, gc->max_num_queues);
> -	if (!ac->eqs)
> +	WARN_ON(apc->eqs);
> +	apc->eqs = kzalloc_objs(struct mana_eq, apc->num_queues);
> +	if (!apc->eqs)
>  		return -ENOMEM;

WARN_ON(apc->eqs) is used as a defensive assertion but execution
proceeds to overwrite apc->eqs unconditionally. If the invariant is
violated, the previous array and all HW EQs it referenced are leaked.
Should this instead bail out with an error or call mana_destroy_eq()
first to keep the function idempotent against future callers?

[ ... ]

> @@ -3326,6 +3349,9 @@ static int mana_dealloc_queues(struct net_device *ndev)
>  	mana_fence_rqs(apc);
>  
>  	/* Even in err case, still need to cleanup the vPort */
> +	mana_destroy_rxqs(apc);
> +	mana_destroy_txq(apc);
> +	mana_destroy_eq(apc);
>  	mana_destroy_vport(apc);

What is the intended interaction with outstanding RDMA QPs here? An
RDMA user that created an RSS QP while the Ethernet netdev was up sees
mpc->eqs populated by mana_alloc_queues(). When the admin issues
ip link set dev N down, mana_dealloc_queues() -> mana_destroy_eq()
destroys those EQs and frees mpc->eqs while the RDMA QPs are still
alive, leaving the QPs with dangling attached_eq IDs at the hardware
level and stale kernel references.

Pre-patch ac->eqs lived for the full mana_context lifetime and was torn
down only in mana_remove(). Is unconditionally destroying the EQs on
netdev-down the intended new behavior, and if so how are concurrent
RDMA consumers expected to recover?

>  	return 0;
>  }