Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v9 0/5] TLS read_sock performance scalability

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2026 18:04:15 -0700

On Wed, 29 Apr 2026 17:48:07 -0400 Chuck Lever wrote:
> I'd like to encourage in-kernel kTLS consumers (i.e., NFS and
> NVMe/TCP) to coalesce on the use of read_sock. When I suggested
> this to Hannes, he reported a few performance scalability issues
> with read_sock. 

Meaning, this series achieves.. what right now?
I mean - the headline is "performance scalability" and there's no
performance testing result in any of the messages :S
Patch 5 for instance "seems logical" but how much difference does
it make?

> However, batch async decryption and its
> submit/deliver scaffolding were dropped from this series because
> async_capable is always false for TLS 1.3, the TLS version that
> NFS and NVMe/TCP both require. Async crypto support for TLS 1.3
> is a prerequisite for revisiting that work.
> 
> This series is now only a set of clean-ups. Support for async
> has been deferred until after TLS KeyUpdate has been merged.

What does "after TLS KeyUpdate has been merged" mean?
KeyUpdate is supported.. You mean in NFS? Or in async?
FTR async support is a major pain and we'd rather get rid of it
(and switch away from cryto API) than extend it.