Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 5/9] net: dsa: lan9645x: add bridge support

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2026 18:46:08 -0700

This is an AI-generated review of your patch. The human sending this
email has considered the AI review valid, or at least plausible.
---
net: dsa: lan9645x: add bridge support

This patch adds hardware offload support for a single bridge device in
the lan9645x DSA driver. It introduces the fwd_domain_lock mutex and an
ordered workqueue, and wires up the bridge-integration switch ops.

> diff --git a/drivers/net/dsa/microchip/lan9645x/lan9645x_main.c b/drivers/net/dsa/microchip/lan9645x/lan9645x_main.c
> index 6fd66ea67cfd..70f6a11f0753 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/dsa/microchip/lan9645x/lan9645x_main.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/dsa/microchip/lan9645x/lan9645x_main.c
> @@ -67,7 +67,9 @@ static void lan9645x_teardown(struct dsa_switch *ds)
>  {
>  	struct lan9645x *lan9645x = ds->priv;
>  
> +	destroy_workqueue(lan9645x->owq);
>  	lan9645x_npi_port_deinit(lan9645x, lan9645x->npi);
> +	mutex_destroy(&lan9645x->fwd_domain_lock);
>  }

[ ... ]

> @@ -133,6 +135,8 @@ static int lan9645x_setup(struct dsa_switch *ds)
>  		return err;
>  	}
>  
> +	mutex_init(&lan9645x->fwd_domain_lock);
> +
>  	/* Link Aggregation Mode: NETDEV_LAG_HASH_L2 */
>  	lan_wr(ANA_AGGR_CFG_AC_SMAC_ENA |
>  	       ANA_AGGR_CFG_AC_DMAC_ENA,

[ ... ]

> @@ -239,6 +243,11 @@ static int lan9645x_setup(struct dsa_switch *ds)
>  
>  	lan9645x_port_set_tail_drop_wm(lan9645x);
>  
> +	lan9645x->owq = alloc_ordered_workqueue("%s-owq", 0,
> +						dev_name(lan9645x->dev));
> +	if (!lan9645x->owq)
> +		return -ENOMEM;
> +

Does this error path leak the fwd_domain_lock initialization and the
NPI port setup?

When alloc_ordered_workqueue() fails, lan9645x_setup() returns -ENOMEM
directly.  In DSA, dsa_switch_setup() handles a failed ds->ops->setup()
by jumping past the teardown label:

    err = ds->ops->setup(ds);
    if (err < 0)
        goto unregister_notifier;

So lan9645x_teardown() is never invoked on the setup failure path, and
the mutex_destroy(&lan9645x->fwd_domain_lock) and
lan9645x_npi_port_deinit() calls it contains are skipped.

With CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES or lockdep enabled, the mutex debug state is
left dangling against devm-managed memory, and the NPI port hardware
configuration performed by lan9645x_tag_npi_setup() is left in place
until the next reset_switch().

Should the failure path of lan9645x_setup() unwind the mutex_init()
and lan9645x_tag_npi_setup() it performed earlier?

>  	ds->mtu_enforcement_ingress = true;
>  	ds->assisted_learning_on_cpu_port = true;
>  	ds->fdb_isolation = true;
> @@ -257,6 +266,272 @@ static void lan9645x_port_phylink_get_caps(struct dsa_switch *ds, int port,
>  	lan9645x_phylink_get_caps(ds->priv, port, config);
>  }
>  
> +static int lan9645x_set_ageing_time(struct dsa_switch *ds, unsigned int msecs)
> +{
> +	u32 age_secs = max(1, msecs / MSEC_PER_SEC / 2);
> +	struct lan9645x *lan9645x = ds->priv;
> +
> +	/* Entry is must suffer two aging scans before it is removed, so it is
> +	 * aged after 2*AGE_PERIOD, and the unit is in seconds.
> +	 * An age period of 0 disables automatic aging.
> +	 */
> +	lan_rmw(ANA_AUTOAGE_AGE_PERIOD_SET(msecs ? age_secs : 0),
> +		ANA_AUTOAGE_AGE_PERIOD,
> +		lan9645x, ANA_AUTOAGE);
> +	return 0;
> +}

Can this silently truncate user-supplied ageing times that exceed the
hardware field?

ANA_AUTOAGE_AGE_PERIOD is GENMASK(20, 1), so the maximum representable
age_secs is 2^20 - 1 = 1048575.  ANA_AUTOAGE_AGE_PERIOD_SET() expands
to FIELD_PREP(), whose runtime path in include/linux/bitfield.h is:

    ((typeof(_mask))(_val) << __bf_shf(_mask)) & (_mask)

which masks the value without any range check or warning.

The driver does not populate ds->ageing_time_min or ds->ageing_time_max,
and dsa_switch_ageing_time() gates its -ERANGE checks on those being
non-zero:

    if (ds->ageing_time_min && ageing_time < ds->ageing_time_min)
        return -ERANGE;
    if (ds->ageing_time_max && ageing_time > ds->ageing_time_max)
        return -ERANGE;

so a large ageing time set via "ip link set br0 type bridge ageing_time
<large>" reaches this callback and is silently truncated to a short
period.  Should lan9645x set ageing_time_min/max so out-of-range values
are rejected instead?

[ ... ]

> +static void lan9645x_host_flood_work_fn(struct work_struct *work)
> +{
> +	struct lan9645x_port *p = container_of(work, struct lan9645x_port,
> +					       host_flood_work);
> +	struct lan9645x *lan9645x = p->lan9645x;
> +
> +	mutex_lock(&lan9645x->fwd_domain_lock);
> +	__lan9645x_port_mark_host_flood(lan9645x, p->chip_port,
> +					p->host_flood_uc, p->host_flood_mc);
> +	__lan9645x_port_set_host_flood(lan9645x);
> +	mutex_unlock(&lan9645x->fwd_domain_lock);
> +}
> +
> +/* Called in atomic context. */
> +static void lan9645x_port_set_host_flood(struct dsa_switch *ds, int port,
> +					 bool uc, bool mc)
> +{
> +	struct lan9645x *lan9645x = ds->priv;
> +	struct lan9645x_port *p;
> +
> +	p = lan9645x_to_port(lan9645x, port);
> +
> +	p->host_flood_uc = uc;
> +	p->host_flood_mc = mc;
> +	queue_work(lan9645x->owq, &p->host_flood_work);
> +}

Can the worker observe a mixed (uc, mc) tuple that no caller requested?

The atomic-context writer stores p->host_flood_uc and p->host_flood_mc
as two independent unsynchronized writes and then queues the work.  The
worker takes fwd_domain_lock and reads both, but the writer never takes
that lock (it cannot — it is called in atomic context, and fwd_domain_lock
is a mutex).

If a second update arrives between the worker's two reads, the worker
can program PGID_UC/MC/MCIPV4/MCIPV6 on the CPU port with a combination
that was never requested by either call.  The state converges on the
next work run triggered by the second queue_work(), but the hardware is
transiently programmed with a tuple nobody asked for.

Would it be safer to bundle both booleans into a single atomic word, or
to use a spinlock that can be taken in atomic context to protect the
pair of stores?

> +
> +static int lan9645x_port_bridge_join(struct dsa_switch *ds, int port,
> +				     struct dsa_bridge bridge,
> +				     bool *tx_fwd_offload,
> +				     struct netlink_ext_ack *extack)

[ ... ]