Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 2/2] tools/ynl: add check-deps target to verify Makefile.deps completeness

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2026 08:35:56 -0700

On Fri,  8 May 2026 13:41:14 -0700 Stanislav Fomichev wrote:
> Add two make rules that detect missing entries in Makefile.deps:
> 
> check-existing-deps-<family>: for families that already have CFLAGS,
>   parse each force-included header for #include directives and verify
>   that every included uapi header is either already listed in CFLAGS
>   or findable by the compiler without -idirafter.
> 
> check-new-deps-<family>: for families without CFLAGS, check whether
>   their default uapi header (linux/<family>.h) exists in the kernel
>   tree but is not findable by the compiler -- meaning it needs a new
>   CFLAGS entry.
> 
> (this is slop but I added extensive comments on how it works)

Would it be more suitable as a NIPA check? Or at least it'd feel less
bad to carry slop in NIPA than in the kernel tree. We already have a
test for YNL build.