Subject: Re: [PATCH net 2/2] net: mana: Skip redundant detach in queue reset handler if already detached

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2026 15:55:59 -0700

This is an AI-generated review of your patch. The human sending this
email has considered the AI review valid, or at least plausible.
---
net: mana: Skip redundant detach in queue reset handler if already detached

This commit adds a check for netif_device_present() in the queue reset
handler. If the device is already detached, it skips the redundant
mana_detach() call and proceeds directly to mana_attach().

> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
> index 9e7e4bf526bf6..740f3c34db451 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
> @@ -316,12 +316,19 @@ static void mana_per_port_queue_reset_work_handler(struct work_struct *work)
[ ... ]
> +	/* If already detached (indicates detach succeeded but attach failed
> +	 * previously). Now skip mana detach and just retry mana_attach.
> +	 */
> +	if (!netif_device_present(ndev))
> +		goto attach;
> +
>  	err = mana_detach(ndev, false);

The fix here correctly prevents mana_detach() from running on an already
detached device. However, do identical issues remain in mana_change_mtu(),
mana_set_channels(), mana_set_ringparam(), and mana_bpf()?

If mana_attach() previously failed (for example, due to out of memory),
the port is left with apc->port_is_up = false, but it preserves
apc->port_st_save = true, and calls netif_device_detach(ndev).

If an admin tries to recover the port by retrying a configuration command
like changing the MTU or attaching XDP, these functions appear to
unconditionally call mana_detach(ndev, false) without the
!netif_device_present(ndev) check added here.

Inside mana_detach(), apc->port_st_save = apc->port_is_up executes. Since
port_is_up is already false, port_st_save is overwritten to false,
permanently erasing the intent that the port should be up.

The subsequent call to mana_attach() would then see port_st_save == false,
skip mana_alloc_queues(), set port_is_up = false, and successfully call
netif_device_attach(ndev).

Would this result in the configuration command returning 0 to userspace
while the port queues were never allocated, leaving the interface silently
broken until manually toggled down and up?