Subject: [PATCH net] tun: free page on short-frame rejection in tun_xdp_one()

From: Weiming Shi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2026 09:00:21 -0700

tun_xdp_one() returns -EINVAL on a frame shorter than ETH_HLEN without
freeing the page that vhost_net_build_xdp() allocated for it.
tun_sendmsg() discards that -EINVAL and still returns total_len, so
vhost_tx_batch() takes the success path and never frees the page; each
short frame in a batch leaks one page-frag chunk.

A local process that can open /dev/net/tun and /dev/vhost-net can hit
this path: it attaches a tun/tap device as the vhost-net backend and
feeds TX descriptors whose length minus the virtio-net header is below
ETH_HLEN. Each kick leaks the page-frag chunks for that batch, and a
tight submission loop exhausts host memory and triggers an OOM panic.
Free the page before returning -EINVAL, matching the XDP-program error
path in the same function.

Fixes: 049584807f1d ("tun: add missing verification for short frame")
Reported-by: Xiang Mei <[email-masked]>
Assisted-by: Claude:claude-opus-4-7
Signed-off-by: Weiming Shi <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/tun.c | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/tun.c b/drivers/net/tun.c
index b183189f1853..f594360d66d6 100644
--- a/drivers/net/tun.c
+++ b/drivers/net/tun.c
@@ -2394,8 +2394,10 @@ static int tun_xdp_one(struct tun_struct *tun,
 	bool skb_xdp = false;
 	struct page *page;
 
-	if (unlikely(datasize < ETH_HLEN))
+	if (unlikely(datasize < ETH_HLEN)) {
+		put_page(virt_to_head_page(xdp->data));
 		return -EINVAL;
+	}
 
 	xdp_prog = rcu_dereference(tun->xdp_prog);
 	if (xdp_prog) {
-- 
2.43.0