Subject: Re: [PATCH net 0/5] ethernet: 3c509: Bring driver back and make some fixes

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2026 08:28:27 -0700

On Wed, 20 May 2026 12:18:44 +0100 (BST) Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  As per the previous discussions[1][2] this patch series brings the 3c509 
> driver back.  Picking up net rather than net-next as I consider it a fix 
> to accidental removal and so that any downstream users do not suffer from 
> disruption when using released kernels.
> 
>  In the course of making the coding style changes requested I have come 
> across an actual bug in transceiver type selection code, where the old 
> setting is not masked out before ORing in the new one, causing no change 
> to be actually made in a requested transition from BNC to AUI.  I guess 
> this code must have been executed exceedingly rarely, as it's always been 
> wrong ever since it was added in 2.5.42 back in 2002.
> 
>  Therefore I find it not worth backporting to stable branches, however for 
> the sake of appropriateness, in case someone downstream does want to have 
> the fix, I chose to apply it second in the series, right after the actual 
> revert and before code clean-ups.
> 
>  The remaining patches of the series should be obvious; see the respective 
> commit descriptions for details.

FWIW sashiko points out a number of potential issues:

https://sashiko.dev/#/patchset/alpine.DEB.2.21.2605201115010.1450%40angie.orcam.me.uk