Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/6] Remove unused support for crypto tfm cloning

From: Eric Biggers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2026 00:30:22 -0500

This series is targeting net-next because it depends on
"net/tcp: Remove tcp_sigpool".  So far no commits in cryptodev conflict
with this, so I suggest that this be taken through net-next for 7.2.

This series removes support for transformation cloning from the crypto
API.  Now that the TCP-AO and TCP-MD5 code no longer uses it, it no
longer has a user.  And it's unlikely that a new one will appear, as the
library API solves the problem in a much simpler and more efficient way.

This feature also regressed performance for all crypto API users, since
it changed crypto transformation objects into reference-counted objects.
That added expensive atomic operations.  The refcount is reverted by
this series, thus fixing the performance regression.

A subset of this was previously sent in
https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
Compared to that version, this version is a bit more comprehensive.

Eric Biggers (6):
  crypto: hash - Remove support for cloning hash tfms
  crypto: cipher - Remove crypto_clone_cipher()
  crypto: api - Remove crypto_clone_tfm()
  crypto: api - Remove per-tfm refcount
  crypto: api - Fold __crypto_alloc_tfmgfp() into __crypto_alloc_tfm()
  crypto: api - Fold crypto_alloc_tfmmem() into crypto_create_tfm_node()

 crypto/ahash.c                   | 70 -----------------------------
 crypto/api.c                     | 76 +++++---------------------------
 crypto/cipher.c                  | 28 ------------
 crypto/cmac.c                    | 16 -------
 crypto/cryptd.c                  | 16 -------
 crypto/hmac.c                    | 31 -------------
 crypto/internal.h                | 10 -----
 crypto/shash.c                   | 37 ----------------
 include/crypto/hash.h            |  8 ----
 include/crypto/internal/cipher.h |  2 -
 include/linux/crypto.h           |  1 -
 11 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 285 deletions(-)

base-commit: 1a1f055318d82e64485a6ff8420e5f70b4267998
-- 
2.54.0