Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v8 10/10] net: airoha: Support multiple LAN/WAN interfaces for hw MAC address configuration

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2026 16:58:20 -0700

On Fri, 22 May 2026 21:25:37 +0200 Lorenzo Bianconi wrote:
> - What happens when device tree does not provide MAC addresses for two or
>   more same-side GDM interfaces?
>   - This is the same comment reported in [0].
>     Since the hw exposes just a single register (REG_FE_LAN_MAC_H or
>     REG_FE_WAN_MAC_H) for the LAN/WAN mac address MSBs, we need to
>     require all the interfaces configured as LAN or WAN to share the
>     mac address MSBs and the user needs to select the new mac address
>     observing this limitation.
>     Please note this limitation is only valid if multiple net_devices
>     are configured as LAN (or WAN). Since in the current codebase we
>     do not support multiple interfaces configured as LAN or WAN, we are
>     not introducing any regression.
>     I do not think selecting a "base" for the mac address is helpful
>     if the user does not provide the mac address via the DTS or NVME
>     (as suggested by sashiko) since it will not help us if the mac
>     addresses configured via DTS are "wrong" (if they do not respect
>     the limitation described above).  What do you think?

If the MACs are not provided something is obviously wrong with the
device. We should try to provide enough functionality for the user
to be able to troubleshoot. For an AP perhaps that means SSH / remote
logs? So switching/routing doesn't have to work, I'd think. 

Will the user be able to log in when REG_FE_LAN_MAC_H does not match
the MAC of a port?