Subject: [PATCH net v2 2/2] net: mana: Skip redundant detach on already-detached port

From: Dipayaan Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2026 16:33:13 -0700

When mana_per_port_queue_reset_work_handler() runs after a previous
detach succeeded but attach failed, the port is left in a detached
state with apc->tx_qp and apc->rxqs already freed. Calling
mana_detach() again unconditionally leads to NULL pointer dereferences
during queue teardown.

Add an early exit in mana_detach() when the port is already in
detached state (!netif_device_present) for non-close callers, making
it safe to call idempotently. This allows the queue reset handler and
other recovery paths to simply retry mana_attach() without redundant
teardown.

Fixes: 3b194343c250 ("net: mana: Implement ndo_tx_timeout and serialize queue resets per port.")
Reviewed-by: Haiyang Zhang <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Dipayaan Roy <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
index 0582803907a8..1e1ad2795c3c 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/microsoft/mana/mana_en.c
@@ -3350,6 +3350,12 @@ int mana_detach(struct net_device *ndev, bool from_close)
 
 	ASSERT_RTNL();
 
+	/* If already detached (indicates detach succeeded but attach failed
+	 * previously). Now skip mana detach and just retry mana_attach.
+	 */
+	if (!from_close && !netif_device_present(ndev))
+		return 0;
+
 	apc->port_st_save = apc->port_is_up;
 	apc->port_is_up = false;
 
-- 
2.43.0