Subject: Re: [PATCH v16 net-next 00/11] nbl driver for Nebulamatrix NICs

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2026 16:21:40 -0700

On Tue, 26 May 2026 11:54:37 +0800 illusion.wang wrote:
> This patch series represents the first phase. We plan to integrate it in
> two phases: the first phase covers mailbox and chip configuration,
> while the second phase involves net dev configuration.
> Together, they will provide basic PF-based Ethernet port transmission and
> reception capabilities.
> 
> After that, we will consider other features, such as ethtool support,
> flow management, adminq messaging, VF support, debugfs support, etc.

The coccicheck bot flagged a new Coccinelle warning introduced by the
nebula-matrix driver series:

  drivers/net/ethernet/nebula-matrix/nbl/nbl_main.c:187:45-52:
    WARNING: Consider using %pe to print PTR_ERR()

The scripts/coccinelle/misc/ptr_err.cocci rule fires when a PTR_ERR()
value is passed to a format string without using the %pe specifier,
which is the kernel-preferred way to print error pointers (it displays
both the numeric value and the symbolic name).

Please fix nbl_main.c line 187 to use %pe instead of passing the raw
PTR_ERR() value to %ld or similar.

For example, change something like:
  pr_err("...: %ld\n", PTR_ERR(ptr));
to:
  pr_err("...: %pe\n", ptr);