Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] llc: Fix race between sock_orphan() and timer callback in llc_sk_free()

From: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2026 19:11:45 -0700

On Wed,  3 Jun 2026 01:30:07 +0000 Jiakai Xu wrote:
> > Sashiko points out that there's more issues if the timer runs after
> > llc_ui_release(). Can you reliably reproduce this? Have you checked
> > that this change is sufficient? Sashiko says that llc->dev may
> > disappear even tho we don't clear that pointer in _release().  
> 
> This crash was discovered by fuzzing. Unfortunately, the fuzzer did 
> not generate a reproducer program, so I am unable to reproduce it. 
> Our analysis has been based entirely on the crash report.
> 
> I'm not an expert in this area, so the quality of my patches may be 
> low. I really appreciate your patience and the time you've taken to 
> review this. Would this V3 approach (moving both sock_orphan() and 
> netdev_put() into llc_sk_free() after the timer stop) be the correct 
> way to proceed?

Not sure, feels like we're trying to fix symptoms instead of addressing
the real root cause.