Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix ss Netid column and Local/Peer_Address

From: "Yoann P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 23:20:42 +0100

Le lundi 29 octobre 2018, 23:03:07 CET Stefano Brivio a écrit :
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:06:35 +0100
> 
> "Yoann P." <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > By the way, why do you use column(1), when ss already prints output in
> > > columns? Any other issue you are working around?
> > 
> > column can hide columns with "-H -" and is a bit faster than awk to output
> > a single column according to time, it's the only reason I mentioned it.
> Okay, but why do you need to hide some columns in the first place? I'm
> wondering if your use case would justify adding options to print
> selected columns only, in a generic way (right now, you can only
> disable some).
> 
> Another possibility would be to rename "Local Address:" to "Local:" and
> "Peer Address:" to "Peer:" -- in some cases (UNIX sockets) it's already
> not so much of an address, more of a path, and "Address" doesn't really
> add value when the field contains an address.
> 
> I don't like too much "Local_Address:" and "Peer_Address:" as the
> output is supposed to be human-readable by default, and that underscore
> just doesn't fit.
I send the peer address column to geoiplookup (currently changing to 
mmdblookup as geoip database is replaced by geolite2) to recover Country, 
Asnum and ASname of peers.