Subject: Re: [PATCH]: net/bonding: Enable to change device type before enslaving

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:48:24 -0700

Moni Shoua <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>The bonding network device is being created  with device type ARPHDR_ETHER.
>Although the device type changes with first slave we want to be able to change
>it when it has zero slaves. The reason is to make the kernel choose the right
>function for multicast address translation (ib_xxx_mc_map) which is determined by
>device type even when no slaves are enslaved. If not so, the kernel picks a wrong
>translation function and wrong HW addresses will be passed to slaves when the
>bonding device tries to set their multicast lists.

	Does this mean that the automatic selection on first enslavement
is no longer needed, and all setting of the type for IB devices must
occur prior to first enslavement?

	Or is this more of a special case for some devices, and the
automatic selection is still correct for most cases?

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [email-masked]