Subject: Re: IPv6 bonding support?

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:34:19 -0800

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I've setup bonding on a few machines here. They're all blades in a Dell
>blade chassis, so they're both connected to the four internal switches
>(2 gigE, 2 10GigE). Using 10GigE only, I've setup bonding in
>active-backup mode with the ARP driver. While this works well, we're
>planning ahead for running IPv6 only.
>
>Does anyone kow if something's in the works to allow redundant links in
>an IPv6-only setup?

	I am not aware of any implementation or plans to implement an
IPv6 equivalent to the ARP monitor (arp_interval, et al) in bonding.

	If the blade switches support a trunk failover system (wherein
the switch will drop carrier on internal facing ports when carrier is
lost on an external port), it is possible to implement approximately
equivalent functionality using trunk failover and the bonding mii
monitor (miimon).

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [email-masked]