Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] usbnet: allow status interrupt URB to always be active

From: Oliver Neukum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:40:22 +0100

On Saturday 05 January 2013 11:59:16 Bjørn Mork wrote:

Hi,

> You can still use a trick similar to what qmi_wwan and cdc_mbim does to
> take over the status endpoint from usbnet: By not implementing .status,
> and possibly setting dev->status to NULL in .bind, you are free to
> handle the status endpoint entirely inside the minidriver.  Not sure if
> that is smart though.  You would have to reimplement init_status and
> intr_complete from usbnet, and kill or resubmit the interrupt urb on
> suspend/resume/disconnect yourself.

Please no. We don't look for ways to circumvent frameworks. We alter
frameworks to act as we need them to act.

> The new usbnet flag is probably a better solution.

Indeed.

> FWIW, I agree with Oliver that always submitting the interrupt URB is
> both risky and will cause too much unnecessary USB activity for most
> usbnet devices.

Good.

	Regards
		Oliver

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-usb" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html