Subject: Re: [PATCH 07/55] staging: wfx: ensure that retry policy always fallbacks to MCS0 / 1Mbps

From: Jérôme Pouiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 15:15:44 +0000

On Tuesday 17 December 2019 12:20:40 CET Felix Fietkau wrote:
[...]
> Instead of using per-packet rate info, implement the
> .sta_rate_tbl_update callback to maintain a primary tx policy used for
> all non-probing non-fixed-rate packets, which you can alter while
> packets using it are queued already.
> The existing approach using per-packet tx_info data should then be used
> only for probing or fixed-rate packets.
> You then probably have to be a bit clever in the tx status path for
> figuring out what rates were actually used.

Indeed, I have noticed that we are are to react to any changes on the
link quality. Your idea may helps a lot. Thank you.

Do you know if I can safely rely on IEEE80211_TX_CTL_RATE_CTRL_PROBE and
IEEE80211_TX_CTL_USE_MINRATE to detect probing and fixed-rate packets?

I currently work on others parts, but I think I will try your suggestion
in January.

One last thing, do you know why minstrel appends the lowest rate and
minstrel_ht don't? They should be identical, not?

-- 
Jérôme Pouiller