Subject: Re: [PATCH] bonding: Inactive slaves should keep inactive flag's value to 1.

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:02:33 -0700

Zheng Li <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Except bond mode 1, in other bond modes, inactive slaves should keep
>inactive flag to 1 to refuse to receive broadcast packets. Now, active
>slave send broadcast packets (for example ARP requests) which will
>arrive inactive slaves on same host from switch, but inactive slave's
>inactive flag is zero that cause bridge receive the broadcast packets
>to produce a wrong entry in forward table. Typical situation is domu
>send some ARP request which go out from dom0 bond's active slave, then
>the ARP broadcast request packets go back to inactive slave from
>switch, because the inactive slave's inactive flag is zero, kernel will
>receive the packets and pass them to bridge, that cause dom0's bridge
>map domu's MAC address to port of bond, bridge should map domu's MAC to
>port of vif.

	I suspect this will break LACP (802.3ad) and Etherchannel
(balance-xor, balance-rr) modes, as those modes can receive broadcast or
multicast on any slave.  In those cases, the switch knows about the
aggregation, and will only send the broadcast / multicast to one of the
ports, but the port selected is not always the same one.

	In which mode are you having trouble?

	-J

>
>Signed-off-by: Zheng Li <[email-masked]>
>---
> drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c |    2 +-
> 1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>
>diff --git a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
>index e5628fc..2f73f18 100644
>--- a/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
>+++ b/drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c
>@@ -3063,7 +3063,7 @@ static int bond_open(struct net_device *bond_dev)
> 				bond_set_slave_inactive_flags(slave,
> 							      BOND_SLAVE_NOTIFY_NOW);
> 			} else {
>-				bond_set_slave_active_flags(slave,
>+				bond_set_slave_state(slave, BOND_STATE_ACTIVE,
> 							    BOND_SLAVE_NOTIFY_NOW);
> 			}
> 		}
>-- 
>1.7.6.5
>

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [email-masked]