Subject: Re: [git patches] net driver fixes

From: Jay Vosburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:39:44 -0700

Dan Williams <[email-masked]> wrote:
[...]
>So essentially the ehea device has a 1(+) external ports that may/may
>not be connected, but all lpars share the physical hardware itself,
>which is quite happy to let all the lpars talk to each other essentially
>via loopback even if there is no actual carrier detected on the external
>port(s)? [...]

	Yes.

>[...]  How does addressing work here, is it just L2 addresses?  

	Yes.  The logical ports all have unique MAC addresses.

> [...] Feel
>free to point me to some docs and tell me to shut up :)

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/redp4340.html

	I found this via google; I haven't read it in detail, but it
seems to cover the HEA architecture at a high level.  It talks about the
whole "IVE" (integrated virtual ethernet: the adapter, hypervisor, etc)
system, but HEA is part of that, so it's probably got the answers you're
looking for.

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [email-masked]