Subject: Re: [Pv-drivers] [PATCH 0/6] VSOCK for Linux upstreaming

From: Andy King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:33:34 -0800 (PST)

> > > Our position is that VSOCK feature set is more complete and that
> > > it
> > > should be possible to use transports other than VMCI for VSOCK
> > > traffic, should interested parties implement them,
> > 
> > Implementing other transports requires restructing vsock (and vmci)
> > first as the current vsock code is not a hypervisor neutral
> > service.
> 
> I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the next couple of days doing
> just that: factoring out the VMCI bits and hiding them behind a
> transport layer.  It'll be a bit rough, but it'll be a start.  We'll
> submit another patch series next week with that.  I'm hoping that'll
> get us over this hump, since it should by hypervisor agnostic at
> that point.  It'll be up to you guys to add virtio, though :)

I sent out a patch series this morning that splits out our code into a
core part, containing the socket family/operations, and a VMCI-specific
part.  The core makes callbacks via a new transport layer into VMCI.
It's not perfect -- there's still some cruft in the core socket
structure -- but it lays the foundation of a hypervisor-neutral channel,
and hopefully we can build on this with your help.  It'd be great if
you could take a look.

Thanks!
- Andy