Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] batman-adv: Update copyright years for 2021

From: Sven Eckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 08:54:33 +0100

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 01:35:06 CET Jakub Kicinski wrote:
[...]
> Is this how copyright works? I'm not a layer, but I thought it was
> supposed to reflect changes done to given file in a given year.

<irony>Because we all know that the first thing a person is doing when 
submitting a change is to update the copyright year.</irony>

So we have either the option to:

* not update it at all (as in many kernel sources)
* don't have it listed explicitly (as seen in other kernel sources)
* update it once a year

I personally like to have a simple solution so I don't have to deal with this 
kind of details while doing interesting things. The current "solution"
was to handle the copyright notices year for the whole project as one entity - 
once per year and then ignore it for the rest of the year.

And I would also prefer not to start a discussion about the differences 
between the inalienable German Urheberrecht, pre 1989 anglo-american 
copyright, post 1989 anglo american copyright and other copyright like laws.

Kind regards,
	Sven