Subject: SRIOV on Intel x710 fail to get attached both at VM creation time and VM runtime

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 21:41:14 +0530

Hi All,

I am facing the following issue on kernel 4.14.14.

Enable SRIOV on Intel x710 card.
echo 32 > /sys/class/net/eth1/device/sriov_numvfs
start net_pool
virsh net-start intel_pool

case 1)
attach the VF while creatig VM:
virt-install --accelerate --import --disk /home/disk.img --network 
network=intel_pool  --boot uefi --name poza-guest --os-type linux 
--os-variant rhel7 --ram 8000 --vcpus 4

case 2)
create VM:
virt-install --accelerate --import --disk /home/disk.img --boot uefi 
--name poza-guest --os-type linux --os-variant rhel7 --ram 8000 --vcpus 
4
attach it:
virsh attach-interface --domain oza-guest --type network --source 
intel_pool --target eth1

kernel logs:
[44287.825287] i40evf 0000:01:02.0: Unable to send opcode 2 to PF, err 
I40E_ERR_QUEUE_EMPTY, aq_err OK
[44287.962640] i40e 0000:01:00.0: VF 0 still in reset. Try again.
error: Failed to attach interface
error: Cannot set interface MAC/vlanid to 52:54:00:e9:f1:b5/0 for ifname 
eth1 vf 0: Resource temporarily unavailable

The same use case works with following card with the same kernel version 
and rootfs.
Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 
Lx]

for details logs please have a look at
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198959

Regards,
Oza.