Subject: Confirmation!

From: "Napanda. C. Pemmaiah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:43:54 -0700

Hello,
       How are you? I am Anup Pemmaiah doing my masters in computer science at 
Utah State University -USA. I have a linux box running Red Hat 7.2 (kernel 
version 2.4). My ethernet driver is 3c59x. I had two questions regarding 3c59x 
module installation.

1)  When the system is booted the module gets installed. I was curious from 
where does this installation takes place. As far i learnt from the 
documentation, this is done because of the entry "alias eth0 3c59x" in the 
/etc/modules.conf file. But even if I delete this entry and reboot the system 
still the module gets installed.

2)          I removed the module by "rmmod 3c59x" and again installed it by 
"insmod /lib/modules/...../net/3c59x.o". The module got installed but in the 
/proc/modules it shows "3c59x    0(unused)". And from /etc/rc.d/init.d if I 
start the network by saying "./network start" the eth0 conncetion does not 
come up. Is it because of some options setting to be done during insmod. I 
searched and tried a lot but I could not figure out the above two problems.

            It will be really great if you can give the solution for the above 
problems. I will be eagerly waiting for your reply. I am sorry for disturbing 
you. Have a nice day.

Thank you,
Anup Pemmaiah

-------------------------------------------------
N.C.Pemmaiah (Anup)
620E, 700N, Apt# 2
Logan, UT-84321,USA.
email: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Ph: 435-512-0935(mob.), 435-752-5976 (Res.)
-------------------------------------------------