Subject: feature request: get ipv6 address from interface name (SIOCGIFNAME)

From: Francois-Xavier Kowalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:48:39 +0200

Hello,

I am currently writing some user-space stuff that require to get the
IP address from the Eternet interface name (because the interface name
is the one linked to the physical device).

ipv4 let the a the ability to retrieve a single address using the
itocl(SIOCGIFNAME) command.

So I am wondering if the fact that this feature is left un-implemented
in ipv6 is intentionnal or not.  The currently implemented ipv6 ioctl
commands only allow to set values, but not to retrieve them.

BTW, I have also noted that a single IPv4 address can be retrieved
using the ioctl(SIOCGIFNAME), whereas the ip(7) command gives the
ability to add several IP addresses per interface (not speaking of the
old "eth0:1" notiation, which is said to be deprecated).

Thanks in advance for any help / explanation or pointer.

Regards

FiX
-- 
François-Xavier 'FiX' KOWALSKI