Subject: Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

From: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:38:30 -0700

Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>>Stupid question, are you sure you have CONFIG_E1000_NAPI enabled?
>>
>>NAPI is also not the panacea to all problems in the world.
> 
> No, but I didn't expect throughput to drop by 40% or so either,
> which is (very roughly) what happened. Interrupts are a pain to
> manage and do affinity with, so NAPI should (at least in theory)
> be better for this kind of setup ... I think.

No, no.  Bad Martin!  Throughput didn't drop, "Specweb compliance" dropped. 
  Those are two very, very different things.  I've found that the server 
can produce a lot more throughput, although it doesn't have the 
characteristics that Specweb considers compliant.  Just have Troy enable 
mod-status and look at the throughput that Apache tells you that it is 
giving during a run.  _That_ is real throughput, not number of compliant 
connections.

_And_ NAPI is for receive only, right?  Also, my compliance drop occurs 
with the NAPI checkbox disabled.  There is something else in the new driver 
that causes our problems.

-- 
Dave Hansen
[email-masked]