Subject: Re: [Bonding-devel] Re: Bonding driver unreliable under high CPUload

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:11:02 -0400

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 
>>...
>>Also, a further question:  do you have access to the slave struct
>>net_device?  If so, just test netif_carrier_ok(slave_dev) and avoid all
>>that ioctl calling if it returns non-zero.
> 
> 
> Make that "avoid all that ioctl calling from interrupt context", which
> is a bug.  Of the box-killing variety ;)

Indeed.  /me looks at the bond_check_dev_link callers more closely and 
shudders.

That wants fixing...

Note that netif_carrier_ok() can indeed be checked in interrupt context. 
  And if someone wants to send me patches converting more drivers to use 
netif_carrier_{on,off}, I would be very happy :)