Subject: Re: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)

From: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:42:38 -0700

Feldman, Scott wrote:
>>Here is the lspci information, both -x and -vv.  This is with 
>>two of the e1000 single-port NICS side-by-side.  I have also 
>>strapped a P-IV CPU fan on top of the two cards to blow some 
>>air over them....running tests now to see if that actually 
>>helps anything.  If it does, I'll be sure to send you a picture :)
> 
> Ben, I checked the datasheet for the part shown in the lspci dump, and it
> shows an operating temperature of 0-55 degrees C.  You said you measured 50
> degrees C, so you're within the safe range.  Did the fans help?
> 
> Here's the datasheet:
> http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/data_sheets/
> pro1000mt_sa.pdf

I get some strange e1000 failures too.  It usually involves the 
watchdog kicking them back into order, but sometimes they'll stay 
offline for a while.  Heat would explain it, though, because it only 
happens when I'm actually using the cards for a benchmark.  I figured 
that it was either my cables, or a shoddy switch.

The new dual-port e1000 that I have doesn't seem to have this problem, 
even though I'm running 4 times more traffic than the singles that I 
had.
-- 
Dave Hansen
[email-masked]