Subject: Re: cheap 4-port tulip-based cards available

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:32:10 -0700

Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:06:51PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> 
>>>http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_comp_inet4.html
>>>
>>>The site says almost nothing about the cards, but on a tip from a
>>>coworker I bought one the last time this site had them for sale, and
>>>have been extremely happy with it. lspci shows:
>>
>>I just got mine, and ordered a bunch more...
>>
>>These are the Phobos p430 NICs.  I have extensively benchmarked 2
>>of those NICs that I got as eval copies, and they perform as good
>>as or better than the 570tx, using the standard tulip driver.
> 
> 
> I'm just curious. What do you do with a bunch of those cards? Do you put
> them in a PC and make a switch out of it?

I make traffic generators out of them (www.candelatech.com)

They are also good for firewalls and routers, as well as more
exotic network devices.  Using linux for a switch does not make so
much sense these days when you can buy a 16 port switch for under $100,
but with bridging code it can be done.

Ben

> cheers,
> Karen

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear